Monday 27 February 2012

Memory Lapse

It's been awhile since I last visited my Ipoh relatives.

One thing I have noticed is most of my aunts had grew older since I last saw them.
My uncle in law from JB drove all the way and drop in to pick mum and I to Ipoh as he has to attend his school class reunion.
 He once mention to my aunt, " Do you know I am the last of the uncle-in-law?". My aunt said hush,don't say this word.

And as we age, most of us become increasingly forgetful.My 2nd auntie is showing signs of memory of lapse as she kept asking the same question like " Did I call to inform ..." over and over. Her case is more like partial memory lapse,she is unable to remember what she said moments ago but can still remember her earlier years.

 I can say her memory is like FIFO (means "first in, first out). The current memory shall be deleted while the old one will be kept.

All of our aunties shows patience with her when talking with her. Forgetting, can annoying for them but they try not to show their  frustration. OK, maybe sometimes.

It's really scary to hear when you grow old you might also become like that.

Luckily she is still able to remember my name as she took a moment only for the recollection returns.

So what is the cause of momentary failures in memory?

The most common one is age as the brain decline, high blood pressure , brain injury which destroy memory stored like a faulty disc ,pregnancy may also lead to memory lapses and depression or stress.

Now for memory improvement some said Mahjong's can improve memory as it required players to use their attention,memory,planning strategy  and calculating scores.

My eldest auntie can be as a testament of avid player memory who do not suffer from dementia as her brain is regularly stretch and exercise.

Many Chinese believe eat pig brains will increase memory retention. Yuck , makes me want to puke. I think I will skip this one.

Also those elders having regular conversation can help prevent or delay forgetting as their memory constantly retrieved and store back.You know, as we come to the end of this phase of our lives, we find ourselves trying to remember the good times and trying to forget the bad times.

Sometimes having a bad memories not such a bad things as we cannot remember the past suffering.
Nothing improves the memory more than trying to forget.


Same also why we need to have refreshing course. eg fire drill training. Our knowledge will slowly goes away if we do not use it. That also why we need practise.Sometimes we all need to be reminded not to get complacent.

Everyone has some troubles with forgetfulness , right? Learn to write notes to yourself help you remember. Weakness is nothing to be ashamed of as it is only part of human nature.

Now where the devil are my pencil? I might need to have more fish for Vitamin B12 diet and more exercises also may help me to remember things.

No comments:

Post a Comment